If you're unhappy with the appearance of your smile, you may benefit from cosmetic dentistry. There are a variety of cosmetic dentistry treatments available to correct a wide range of dental issues and enhance the overall appearance of the smile. Those who wish to improve the appearance of crooked teeth may want to consider porcelain veneers or Invisalign®.
Both porcelain veneers and Invisalign® can be used to create beautifully straight teeth but each treatment offers its own unique benefits. We'll focus on what each treatment has to offer as we discuss the differences between porcelain veneers versus Invisalign®. To find out which is right for you, contact Lake Jackson, TX dentists Brian Bell and Justin Crocker.
Porcelain Veneers Treatment
Porcelain veneers are thin, tooth-shaped shells that can be used to address the appearance of mildly crooked teeth, along with many other aesthetic dental issues, like tooth size, color, and shape. When used to correct mild alignment issues, porcelain veneers may be referred to as “instant orthodontics.” This is because treatment can be completed in as little as two dental appointments to reveal beautifully straight teeth without the wait needed with traditional orthodontics or Invisalign®.
The Benefits of Porcelain Veneers Treatment
Porcelain veneers offer many benefits, making it a popular treatment to improve the appearance of the smile. Some notable benefits of treatment with porcelain veneers include:
- Improves the appearance of crooked teeth: Porcelain veneers as instant orthodontics can transform the appearance of crooked teeth in as little as two dental appointments.
- Closes gaps and corrects spacing between teeth: Large gaps or unwanted spacing between the teeth can be closed with porcelain veneers.
- Can be used to whiten the smile: Porcelain veneers can be crafted to any shade of white, making them a great option for whitening even the most discolored smile.
- Can correct the shape and size of the teeth: Porcelain veneers can also be crafted to any desired shape and size to improve the appearance of irregularly shaped or disproportionately sized teeth.
- Fast, painless treatment: Treatment with porcelain veneers is fast and painless, making it a great option for those with busy schedules.
Invisalign® is a discreet orthodontic treatment designed to enhance the smile without the use of metal braces. Invisalign® achieves this through a series of clear aligner trays. Aligner trays are worn for the majority of the day, but may be removed while eating and to brush and floss the teeth. The trays are changed every two weeks to gradually reposition the teeth until the desired look is achieved, which generally takes around 12 months.
The Benefits of Treatment with Invisalign®
Unlike porcelain veneers, Invisalign® treatment cannot improve the color, shape, or size of the teeth, but it does provide many other benefits, such as:
- Improved alignment: Invisalign® repositions the teeth, improving alignment and creating beautifully straight teeth.
- Comfortable: Invisalign® trays are comfortable and easy to use.
- Does not alter the structure of the teeth: With porcelain veneers, a small layer of the enamel must be removed from the teeth to allow room for placement of the veneers. Invisalign® doesn't require any enamel to be removed, preserving the structure of the teeth.
- Enhances the smile's appearance: Invisalign® effectively straightens the teeth to enhance the appearance of the smile and boost confidence.
Which Treatment Is Right for You?
For more information about porcelain veneers treatment or Invisalign®, we invite you to schedule a consultation with Drs. Bell and Crocker.