As a child is growing, the jaw and teeth continually shift and grow. By the time all of a child’s permanent teeth have come in, which is usually between the ages of 10 and 13, many will have some degree of malocclusion problems. In fact, data suggests that nearly 75 percent of all kids and teens have some type of alignment problem, whether having to do with the spacing or position of the teeth.
Invisalign® offers effective and discreet orthodontic treatment to those patients who prefer an alternative to metal braces. The good news for teens who are in need of orthodontic treatment is that Invisalign® is not just for adults.
At Bell Dental, we offer Invisalign® for teens to those of our Lake Jackson, TX patients who prove to be good candidates for this teeth-straightening technique.
How Does Invisalign® Work?
The basic concept behind Invisalign® treatment is similar to traditional braces treatment. The goal of treatment is to apply pressure to the teeth, which will encourage the teeth to move into their intended position.
The difference with Invisalign® treatment is that force is applied by progressing patients through a series of clear, plastic aligner trays, rather than through the placement of metal brackets and wires. This metal-free system can correct nearly all of the same malocclusion problems as traditional braces, and it does so in roughly the same time frame.
Why Is Invisalign® So Appealing to Teens?
Invisalign® completely eliminates the irritation and obvious appearance of braces, which is why it is such an appealing treatment option for teens. Consider the following benefits of Invisalign® treatment:
- Discreetness: The plastic aligner trays that are worn during treatment are practically invisible. Unless a person is closely examining the teeth, they are unlikely to notice that Invisalign® aligners are in the mouth. This is vastly different than traditional metal braces, which can have a big impact on a teen’s confidence.
- Comfort: Again, Invisalign® aligners are completely metal-free, so they will not rub or scrape the soft tissues of the mouth the way that traditional braces do. And even though Invisalign® aligners provide the force necessary to shift the teeth, they are not made of hard, scratchy plastic. Invisalign® aligner trays feel smooth and comfortable in the mouth and sit snugly around the teeth so that they are barely felt when worn.
- Convenience: It can be difficult to properly brush and floss the teeth when braces are in place. Many braces patients actually experience an increase in minor dental problems, such as tooth decay, because braces make it harder to care for the teeth. One of the great conveniences of Invisalign® aligners is that they can be removed. Although they must be worn at least 20 to 22 hours a day, Invisalign® aligners can be taken out when eating or brushing the teeth.
Is Invisalign® Right for My Teen?
Many teens are enticed by the benefits of Invisalign® treatment, but this technique does come with some unique responsibilities. To consider whether Invisalign® may be right for your teen, ask yourself the following questions:
- Will my teen wear their aligners as directed?
- Will my teen keep track of their aligners if they are removed?
- Is my teen especially concerned about teasing or what their smile will look like with braces?
If the answer to these questions is “yes,” it is important to discuss Invisalign® treatment with our experienced dentists.
If you have questions about Invisalign® treatment, and whether it may be a good option for your teen, contact the experienced dentists at Bell Dental at your earliest convenience. Dr. Brian Bell or Dr. Justin Crocker can discuss your specific concerns and recommend the best line of orthodontic treatment for your teen based on your unique situation.