Porcelain veneers are popular among dentists and patients due to their ability to mask various dental flaws and improve the size, shape, and color of the teeth. However, patients that undergo the procedure should realize that their veneers will require replacement at some point in the future. It is common for veneers to last 10, 15, or more years, with proper care. When it does come time to replace your veneers, Dr. Brian K. Bell and Dr. Justin J. Crocker can perform your treatment. To learn more about porcelain veneers replacement treatment, contact our Lake Jackson, TX practice, Bell Dental.
Why Should Your Porcelain Veneers Be Replaced?
Your porcelain veneers may require replacement for a number of reasons, including:
- Tooth decay in the underlying tooth: Veneers are made of porcelain material that can’t be damaged by tooth decay. However, the underlying tooth structure that supports the veneer is still vulnerable to infection. If the natural tooth develops a cavity or root canal infection, the veneer will need to be removed so the tooth can be treated.
- The veneer has become dislodged or fallen off: The dental cement used to secure your veneer to your tooth can wear down. This can result in the veneer becoming dislodged or falling off, especially as you bite into food.
- Damage to the veneer: The veneer itself can become damaged over time. For example, abrasive toothpastes can affect the luster of the veneer, or a piece of the veneer could chip off if you engage in harmful dental habits such as biting your nails.
- Tooth discoloration: Veneers are more resistant to stains than the natural teeth. Over time, the natural teeth surrounding the veneers may become more yellow in color, while the veneers maintain a whiter appearance. In this case, you may wish to have the veneers removed, and then undergo teeth whitening and veneers replacement treatment.
- Cosmetic concerns: Some patients dislike the appearance of their veneers. At Bell Dental, we can replace veneers that appear bulky or large. We will design and fabricate veneers that complement the shape of your mouth and face.
Prolonging the Lifespan of Your Veneers
To avoid the need for veneers replacement for as long as possible, patients should maintain good aftercare. Be sure to brush your teeth with a dentist-approved toothpaste twice a day; floss daily. Do not use your teeth as tools, and avoid biting your fingernails.
The Porcelain Veneers Replacement Procedure
The procedure begins with the removal of your old veneers, along with any dental cement. When the teeth are free of the veneers and bonding cement, the procedure will proceed in a similar manner to the initial treatment. We will take impressions of your teeth and design veneers that will fit securely and provide a natural and beautiful appearance. It will take about two weeks to fabricate your new, custom veneers. When they are ready, you will return to our office, and we will secure the veneers with dental cement.
To learn more about porcelain veneers replacement, contact Bell Dental today.