The key to a beautiful smile at any age is proper dental care. Teens can enjoy the confidence of a beautiful, healthy smile with dental care tailored to their unique needs. Many restorative dentistry treatments can be customized to address dental damage, improving oral health and restoring the smile's appearance. Learn more about dental care for teens in this overview from Lake Jackson, TX dentists Brian Bell and Justin Crocker.
Dental Care Tips for Teens
Proper dental care can help teens prevent oral health issues, like tooth decay, gum disease, and dental damage. Establishing good dental care habits young can help teens enjoy a healthy, beautiful smile into adulthood. Teens can stay on the path to good oral health by following these tips:
- Don't skip brushing and flossing: Practicing good oral hygiene everyday is key to preventing tooth decay and gum disease. The teeth should be brushed for a full two minutes at least twice a day and flossed at least once a day.
- Avoid sugary junk foods and soft drinks: Sugary junk foods and soft drinks drastically increase the risk of tooth decay. Teens should limit consumption of foods and drinks high in sugar.
- Undergo regular dental exams: Teens should see their dentist at least once every six months for a general exam and cleaning. Regular dental exams help protect the teeth from damage, allowing any areas of concern to be addressed before they become severe.
- Practice extra care when wearing braces: Teens undergoing orthodontic treatment will need to practice extra care to prevent dental staining and decay around their braces by brushing after every meal and avoiding chewy, sticky foods.
- Wear a mouth guard while playing sports: Wearing a mouth guard while playing sports, like football or hockey, can help teens protect their teeth from sports-related injuries.
Treatments for Teens
If left untreated, dental damage incurred in the teen years will follow teens into adulthood. It's important that teens receive proper dental care to ensure healthy smiles for years to come. Fortunately, there are many treatments available to meet the needs of teen patients, including:
- Tooth-colored fillings: Tooth-colored fillings are designed to seamlessly blend with the surrounding tooth, restoring the smiles of teens who suffer from dental cavities.
- Dental crowns: It's not uncommon for teens to experience dental damage as a result of sports-related injury or other type of accident. Dental crowns can restore the structure and appearance of damaged teeth.
- Porcelain veneers: Porcelain veneers may be used to mask minor chips, fractures, or other flaws in the front facing teeth, improving the appearance of the smile.
- Invisalign®: Invisalign® offers discreet orthodontic treatment and is suitable for many teen patients with alignment issues.
- Traditional orthodontics: Traditional orthodontics treatment can improve the appearance of mild to severe alignment issues, making it a great treatment to address the needs of teens requiring bite correction.
Schedule a Consultation
For more information about dental care for teens, or to discuss your treatment options, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with Drs. Bell and Crocker.